Heraklion: 92-year-old woman drank detergent in a nursing home and died

Heraklion, nursing home

The police arrested the 53-year-old owner of the nursing home in Heraklion, where a 92-year-old woman tragically died after consuming disinfectant, as well as the 28-year-old temporary manager and the 23-year-old nurse who gave her the liquid.

They were charged with manslaughter.

According to what the 92-year-old's son-in-law testified on Tuesday, during the administration of the drugs in the structure on Monday, they mixed up the water bottles with those containing cleaning agents, and as soon as she drank their contents, the elderly woman felt strongly unwell.

She was immediately transferred to the Venizelio hospital.

The family of the 92-year-old woman filed lawsuits, and the police searched the nursing home, where the bottle with the disinfectant was found and confiscated. A toxicology laboratory is examining its contents.

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy and toxicology tests on the body of the 92-year-old.

What video footage shows

At the same time, the police officers, who lean, based on the available evidence, to the scenario of the mistake, try to clarify the circumstances under which everything happened through statements and the video footage they gather from the cameras that were in various, but not in all areas of the nursing home.

According to the data, the fatal mistake happened in the morning, around 9 - 9.30, in the dining room where the woman had breakfast. A security camera has recorded the whole scene.

According to ERT, the woman appears to be asking for water from the nurse, who takes a bottle with others and leaves it on the table. The woman opens the bottle and begins to slowly drink the liquid without reacting.

When the staff realised what had happened, they proceeded with suction. However, it was not possible to save the older woman, who quickly died after being taken to the hospital.

It remains unknown how the cleaning fluid was found inside the water bottle, among other things. Police are investigating the possibility that a series of fatal errors led to the death of the older woman.

It is being investigated that a cleaner filled the bottle with detergent, and another employee placed it where they put the water bottles without knowing what it contained.

READ MORE: Far-right North Macedonian party leader arrested in Turkey – Accused of murdering 14-year-old girl.

Advertisment

Copyright Greekcitytimes 2024