The Hellenic Club Sydney has once again coordinated a visit from the elite Presidential Guard of Greece. The contingent of nine Evzones and two officers have been released by special permission from the President of Greece and will arrive in Sydney from the 23rd of April to 3rd of May, to take part in official ANZAC Day ceremonies, commemorating the history of the ANZACs and their involvement in the Battle of Crete and Greek Campaign, when Australian and Greek soldiers fought side by side for shared values of freedom and democracy.
Here is the official program where you can catch a glimpse of the Evzones while they are in town →
- Sunday 23rd of April – Evzones arrive in Sydney from Adelaide at 9:35pm at Sydney Domestic Terminal 3on Qantas Airways Flight QF774 (ALL WELCOME)
- Monday 24th of April – 12:30 pm – Beta Bar & Gallery – Inaugural Anzacs of Greece Luncheon hosted by the Hellenic Club Sydney at Beta Bar and Gallery. Honouring the Anzacs that fought in the Battle of Crete and Greek Campaign and also welcoming the The Hellenic Presidential Guard. With support from the Joint Committee for Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign and the Consulate of Greece, Sydney (INVITE ONLY)
- Tuesday 25th of April – 11:30 am – Anzac Day march. The Hellenic Presidential Guard will be marching with the Greek Sub-Branch RSL and the allied forces (ALL WELCOME)
- Friday 28th of April – 1:00 pm- 2:00pm – Martin Place Cenotaph- Guard of Honour (1 HOUR & ALL WELCOME)
- Friday 28th of April – 6:30 pm – St Ioannis Greek Orthodox Church – Parramatta (ALL WELCOME)
- Saturday 29th of April – 1:00pm – 2:00pm – Martin Place Cenotaph (1 HOUR & ALL WELCOME)
- Saturday 29th of April -7:00pm – Sofitel Sydney Wentworth – The Parish of St George, Rosebay Ladies Auxiliary, Philoptohos – 55 Year Anniversary Gala Dinner Dance in honour of and in the presence of The Hellenic Presidential Guard. For tickets contact Marie Bekiraris: 0412 620 095 and Patricia Aroney: 0411 521 723.
- Sunday 30th of April – 9:00am – The Resurrection of Christ, Our Lady of the Myrtles and St Elesa Greek Orthodox Church – Kogarah (ALL WELCOME)
- Wednesday 3rd of May- 8:50pm- Departure for Athens from Kingsford International Airport (ALL WELCOME)
In addition to these public events, the Greek Presidential Guard will also be visiting the students of public and private schools including- All Saints Grammar, St, Spyridon College, St Euphemia College, Maccalums Public School, Roselands and Riverview College. They will also be visiting St Basils Nursing Home- these events are only for students and retirees and not open to the public.
*This program is subject to change, Greek City Times will keep you updated with any further information.