Tsoureki is a very traditional sweet bread, made mostly during the Greek Easter period.
Here is a vegan version, using lactose free dark chocolate- perfect for Lent and all year round, as it really is delicious, light and fluffy.
This recipe makes 2 x Tsourekia
– 14 grams of dry yeast
– 240 grams of coconut milk, lukewarm
– 240 grams of freshly squeezed orange juice
– 120 grams vegetable oil
– 1/2 teaspoon mastic grated
– 800 grams all purpose flour
– 200 grams lactose free dark chocolate, grated
– 100 grams white sugar
– In your mixer add sugar, vegetable oil, coconut milk, orange juice, mastic and yeast and mix for a few minutes. Add the flour and mix on high speed for about 5 minutes or until dough is soft and fluffy.
– Place in a large bowl and cover well with cling wrap. Allow to sit at room temperature for about an hour and a half, or until it has tripled in size.
– Knead again gently with hands and divide into 6 even pieces.
– Roll out each dough piece into an oblong shape and sprinkle each with grated dark chocolate. Wrap each piece in to a tight roll and repeat the procedure for each piece.
– Using three pieces, form the Tsoureki into a braid and transfer on to a large baking tray layered with parchment paper.
– Repeat the same procedure with the second Tsoureki.
– Allow them to sit for about 40 minutes to inflate.
– Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius and cook for about 30 minutes or until a golden brown.