Fava is a delicious Santorini yellow split pea puree dish, which is simple to make, tastes absolutely amazing and is ideal during lent.
With a few ingredients you can create this authentic recipe, which can be served as a starter, mezze or side dish.
Just add some drops of fresh lemon juice, capers or olives top- it’s entirely up to you!
– 500 x grams yellow split peas
– 2 x onions, chopped
– 1/3 x litre olive oil, extra for drizzling
– salt and pepper to taste
– Rinse split peas thoroughly with water.
– Add olive oil to saucepan and allow to heat.
– Place split peas in saucepan and pour in water.
– Allow it to come to a boil and remove any froth that forms at the top of saucepan.
– Add one chopped onion and pour in olive oil, salt and pepper. Allow to cook with lid on for about 45 minutes, or until split peas are thick in texture.
– Blend peas with a hand blender or place in food processor and mix until it becomes a smooth and creamy puree.
– Place in serving dish, garnish with remaining chopped onion and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
*Recipe and image by flavoursandflair.com