Makaronopita is a traditional Greek Makaroni and Cheese pie, which is very well known and made in Central Greece (Sterea Ellada).
Here is a traditional and delicious family recipe, which is sure to be loved by all!
– 200 x grams all purpose flour (plus extra to roll out)
– 1/2 x tablespoon of vinegar
– 1 x tablespoons olive oil
– 80 ml x warm water
– 1/2 x teaspoon of salt
-300 x grams macaroni
– 8 x eggs, whisked
– 200 x grams ricotta, crumbled
– 400 x grams feta, crumbled
– 700 x ml full cream milk
– 1 x cup of olive oil (extra for drizzling)
– salt & pepper to taste
For pastry (Part 1):
– In a large bowl mix the flour with the salt, vinegar and olive oil and place warm water in the middle of the mixture.
– Knead the dough well and then divide into 3 equal parts.
– Leave for 1/2 hour covered in cling wrap to rest.
– In the meantime you can prepare the filling.
Preparing the filling:
-Boil pasta as per directions on packet.
– Drain pasta when ready and place in a large bowl with all ingredients.
– Mix the filling thoroughly and set aside.
For pastry (Part 2):
– Lightly sprinkle flour on the surface you will be using to roll out the dough (so the pastry won’t stick).
– Flatten the balls out one by one and begin rolling them out slowly using a large rolling pin- they should end up being about 60cm in diameter.
– Make sure you continue lightly sprinkling flour between each fillo you roll out- so they do not stick together.
Placing it all together:
– Lightly drizzle olive oil in your baking dish (Mum always uses a round one but square will also do) and place one of the fillo pastries in dish.
– Spread half of your macaroni and cheese filling you have prepared evenly over the surface.
– Add another layer of fillo pastry and spread other half of the remaining mixture.
– Add the final layer of pastry and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
– Fold the edges in and place in preheated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes at 200 degrees or till light golden brown.
– Allow to cool for a few minutes- then cut into diamond shapes and serve.
*Recipe and image by flavoursandflair.com (Copyright)