In response to the increasing number of coronavirus cases in Greece, Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Hardalias announced additional protection measures.
The new measures are:
- All restaurants, bars and catering businesses will close from 00:00 until 07:00 in the region of Attica, the islands of the Saronic Gulf and the island of Kythira until August 24
- 50 person-limit in all public and social events except those in which special protection measures are applied as restaurants, theatres, cinemas, until August 24 at the epidemiologically burdened areas
- The whole package of measures applied on Poros is extended to the island of Paros and Antiparos until August 24. These measures ban any congregation over 9 persons for any reason in public and private areas and four-person limit per table except for families and mandatory use of face masks throughout the island in both outdoor and indoor areas
- The measures on Poros island are extended to August 24
- Mandatory use of face masks in military camps, migrants and refugees hosting facilities and solidarity structures
- Civil servants and private sector employees belonging to vulnerable groups will work from home or back office until August 31.
Additionally, Hardalias urged for the use of face masks to people returning home from holidays in highly burdened areas and recommended the use of face mask at all indoors facilities. when the necessary distance is not possible to be kept.
Greece recorded 254 new cases of COVID-19 in the latest 24-hour reporting period.
This raises the total number of cases to 6,632.
Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Friday pointed out the importance of personal responsibility adding that the state will assume its responsibilities with a plan "as we have done until today and always according to the scientists’ recommendations."
He also urged young people to take care of themselves "you are not invincible and mostly are not invincible your parents and your grandparents."
24% are considered to be related to travel from abroad and 3,207 are related to an already known case.
Twenty-two individuals are in ICU.
The country’s pandemic death toll stands at 223. The median age of all was 77 years.
On Wednesday, Greece reported its highest daily tally since the start of the outbreak in the country.