With over 32 million international visitors expected to make their way to Greece this year and most being over the summer season, expect long delays at Greece’s airports, especially at the height of the summer season. Below we have put together some tips on how to make your journey as smooth as possible!
If you are stuck at Athens Airport because of a delay or a missed flight, you will be happy to know you won’t be going hungry as there are plenty of options to suit all tastes. There are lots of good Greek restaurants and cafes you can grab a Tiropita (cheese pie) or Spanakopita (spinach pie) from, a Frappe, as well as the usual suspects- McDonalds, Starbucks, Nescafe Bar and lots more. There is also plenty of shops and a Duty Free store in case you are in search of something specific.
Aiming to fully meet the needs of travelling families, Athens International Airport also has a safe and friendly play area for all children. The Play Area operates free of charge and kids must be escorted by one of their parents at all times and travelling documents of both parents & child must be shown. The play area is located on the 2nd floor of the Main Terminal Building, with opening hours of 9am- 9pm.
GCT has also gathered some general travel tips for you-
Carry On/ Hand-held luggage:
- For the number and the size of your hand luggage allowance, kindly check with your airline, as restrictions may apply (a general rule is that your hand luggage fits under the seat in front or in overhead lockers if there is space available).
- Only small quantities of liquids, aerosols and gels may be taken in hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. These containers must be packed in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one litre capacity per passenger.
- Medicines and dietary requirements, including baby foods, for use during the trip may be carried in hand luggage (proof may be requested)
- If your baggage weight or dimensions exceed the standards given by your airline, the check-in staff will request from you to deliver the baggage to the dedicated check-in counters.
- For security reasons, you must remove any sharp object from your hand luggage. A list of such items includes: knives, scissors, razor blades, nail files, forks, pocket knives, corkscrew, electronic cigarettes, guns/other weapons and explosive and flammable materials.
- For the number and the size of your check-in Luggage allowance, kindly check with your airline, as restrictions may apply.
Check in tips:
- The best way to save time and avoid queues: choose your seat and check in online, that way you’ll have your boarding pass printed out or on your mobile. Another option is to collect your Boarding Pass from an airport Kiosk or check-in counter. Take your baggage to the dedicated ‘Drop-off’ counters at the airports. If you do not have baggage, proceed directly to your gate.
- Wear comfortable clothes and have everything you need for the flight in your hand luggage, including your documentation plus something warm to put on in case it’s cold on the plane
- Always keep your valuables on you: keys, electronic devices, wallet, documents.
- Don’t forget to bring your mobile devices fully charged. An external battery is always a good idea, just in case.
- Contrary to what many people may think, you are allowed to bring food on the plane – as long as your food complies with the strict liquid restrictions (that is, not soup) and you eat certain foods like the Tiropita you brought from the cafe inside the airport, before you reach your destination.
- Duty free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from the airport may now be carried as hand baggage, provided that they would undergo through security screening with the usage of new technologies. These goods, together with the original receipt, must remain in their security tamper-evident bag from the time of purchase until final destination.
Get there at least 30 minutes earlier than what is expected, as there are huge queues at all check points and don’t forget chances are you will also face traffic on the way to the Airport, so it’s best you give yourself that extra time!
From all the GCT Team, safe travels!