The Summer Nostos Festival (SNFestival) is an international multifaceted arts, sports and education event. The festival aspires to become a friendly creative platform where people of all ages can express themselves and exchange ideas.
This year the festival is adjusting to the new reality and is moving online for a special RetroFuture Edition.
"It’s going to be a weird summer, so let’s get together to make it good-weird. What can past visions of the future—uncannily accurate or wildly wrong—teach us? How can experiences we had when the present was still future inform our experience of our present future? And where's my AI butler, already?" the Stavros Niarchos Foundation said in an official announcement.
From the 21st to the 28th of June, audiences start a "journey" from the past to the future.
The week, packed with bold ideas and big fun, will include:
- Burna Boy, rising Nigerian superstar
- William Kentridge studio visit
- Theater of War’s The Oedipus Project with Frances McDormand, Oscar Isaac, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Frankie Faison, David Strathairn
- Selected Shorts with Nia Vardalos, Kathleen Chalfant, Sam Underwood, Valorie Curry
- Stereo Nova 2018 SNFestival rewind
- MEΛΙSSES, Greek pop-rock sensation, on the roof of the SNFCC
- Nostos University with Garry Kasparov, Judit Polgár, Ernő Rubik, and more
- Dimitris Kamarotos & Anna Pangalou in a majestic musical performance on top of the SNFCC, in front of a sunset sky
- Mark Mitton, magician, and international circus talents
- Choir! Choir! Choir! sing-alongSeu Jorge & Athens State Orchestra flashback to a 2018 SNFestival tribute to David Bowie
- Stand Up Comedy with Giorgos Xatzipavlou, Lambros Fisfis, and more
- SNF Conference with Nicholas Christakis, Stuart Russell, Tristan Harris, Eric Klinenberg, Bill T. Jones, and more
- SNF DIALOGUES & SNF Agora Conversations
- Virtual SNF RUN
While this SNFestival: RetroFuture Edition is far from normal and far from its home at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) in Athens, it’s still about enjoying artists we know we love while being introduced to new favourites. About grappling with ideas that push us outside our intellectual comfort zones while soaking up the good vibes shared time together. About how journeying out into the unknown makes returning home that much sweeter—the spirit of “nostos” that gives the festival its name.
The SNFestival is organised and made possible through the exclusive support of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF). The full program of events can be viewed at www.snfcc.org