Greece bans sale of durable goods at supermarkets

Greece bans sale of durable goods at supermarkets

Greece bans sale of durable goods at supermarkets

Greece's Ministry of Development has announced that supermarkets are prohibited from selling durables including books, clothing, footwear and electronic equipment for as long as restrictions on normal retail activity are in place.

Development Minister Adonis Georgiadis said the decision came in response to concerns of unfair competition voiced during a meeting over the weekend with representatives by the Hellenic Confederation of Commerce and Entrepreneurship (ESEE).

It is recalled that Greece entered its second nationwide lockdown on Saturday.

Supermarkets are also banned from selling bed linen, carpets and household appliances like lighting fixtures or vacuum cleaners.

Georgiadis also mentioned that the Prime Minister is considering a request by bookshop owners to be allowed to operate during the three-week lockdown. They stressed the importance of keeping people entertained during the lockdown and argued that most of them are very small businesses that cannot afford delivery services, but can control the number of customers that enter their stores.

SMS 13033 for movement during Greece's lockdown

All individuals residing in Greece will be required to send an SMS text message to 13033 in order to obtain permission to leave their homes during the lockdown.

The SMS to 13033 should be formatted as follows: X (one of the digits 1-6 corresponding to the activities below), name, surname and address.

The six reasons (you must SMS) are:
  1. Visit to a pharmacy or visit to a doctor if necessary
  2. Visit to a supermarket or stores for essential supplies
  3. Visit to a bank if e-banking transactions are not possible
  4. Visit to people needing assistance or escorting children to and from school
  5. Attending a funeral, as per the conditions provided by the law, or visiting children in case of divorced parents
  6. Physical exercise outdoors or up to two persons taking their pet for a walk while always observing a 1.5-metre distance.

Alternatively, individuals unable to send SMSs, can fill out the form by hand. There are two types of documents: Document A, which is filled out once by the person going to work, with name, home address, work address, and shift schedule. This will be provided by employers. Document B is for trips not related to work and must be filled out every time a citizen wishes to leave his or her house, instead of an SMS. It must contain name, home address, destination and reason for circulation.

Anyone leaving the house will have to carry a valid identification card or document with them.