June 27, 2013, was a game-changing day for the Milwaukee Bucks.
“With the 15th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select Giannis Antetokounmpo, from Athens, Greece," former NBA commissioner David Stern announced.
The Milwaukee Bucks selected Giannis Antetokounmpo with the 15th pick on June 27, 2013, bringing a project-able young talent from Greece over to the United States.
He was drafted as an unknown at 18 but is now one of the best players in the universe.
Interesting facts about Giannis:
- He officially gained Greek citizenship on May 9, 2013
- He represented Greece for the first time in July 2013 with the Greek under 20 national teams at the 2013 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship
- His combination of size, speed and ball-handling skills led to his nickname the "Greek Freak"
- He was the first Greek to win MVP
- In 2016–17 he led the Bucks in all five major statistical categories and became the first player in NBA history to finish a regular season in the top 20 in all five statistics of total points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks
- He’s a three-time All-Star
- He’s leading a team with the best record in the NBA
- He is an avid fan of the Greek club Olympiakos