Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a domestic violence incident, which allegedly occurred late last year.
The charge carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison.
He is expected to face court next month, charged with common assault.
Kyrgios’ barrister, Jason Moffett from Key Chambers, told The Canberra Times he had been briefed on the matter, and the player was aware of the charge.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he told the newspaper.
“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.
“Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”
Moffett didn’t respond to calls from 9News late on Tuesday.
Police said the charge stemmed from an incident in December 2021.
Kyrgios is due to play Chilean Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday.