Greece reports Turkey to EU for inhuman treatment; 92 refugees admit to being beaten, stripped naked and sent to Greek border

Greece has reported Turkey to the EU for its inhuman treatment of 92 refugees which were beaten, stripped naked then sent to the Greek border where they were rescued by Greek police.

Greece's Citizen Protection Minister Takis Theodorikakos  informed European Commissioner for Home Affarirs Ylva Johansson and his 27 EU counterpart ministers of the incident in a letter, which said several of the migrants, he said, had been "beaten up and injured before being stripped.

"It is a horrifying image, which no one could possibly accept, that is why we denounce Turkey's behavior," he added. "Turkey must realize it cannot continue its unprovoked violations of International Law and (must) put an end to this provocative behavior. It must comply with fundamental principles of logic and humanitarianism."

According to the letter to the EU officials, Theodorikakos said most were Afghani nationals, and the 92 included 5 children. They had been pushed onto dinghies after their clothes and documents were removed.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) has said it was "deeply distressed" by the incident and called for a full investigation. The incident was first reported on Saturday by the Citizen Protection Ministry, which said that the migrants told authorities they were transported to the border in three vehicles and told to board dinghies to cross over to Greek territory after being "completely abandoned naked and without any equipment," and had boarded dinghies to cross over to Greece.

Responding to charges by Turkish Foreign Affairs Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu that Greece is generating "fake news" and "violating International Law" over the 92 migrants, Theodorikakos said the evidence is incontrovertible, as Frontex was present during the incident and statements provided by the migrants.

"Turkish officials have some nerve to criticize Greece for the barbaric, medieval-like behavior of the Turkish side to 92 migrants at Evros. The events have been recorded by Frontex officers and are indisputable," the Greek minister said. "Turkey has a basic obligation to respect International Law and stop its provocations, especially in such an inhumane way."

 

Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.

Uh-oh! It looks like you're using an ad blocker.

Our website relies on ads to provide free content and sustain our operations. By turning off your ad blocker, you help support us and ensure we can continue offering valuable content without any cost to you.

We truly appreciate your understanding and support. Thank you for considering disabling your ad blocker for this website