Earthquake Sparks Concern at Mount Athos: Monks on Alert, Engineers Dispatched

Pantokrator Monastery mount athos

KARYES, Mount Athos – A 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck near Karyes, Mount Athos, at noon on Saturday, raising alarm among the scientific community and local authorities. The quake, felt in Thessaloniki, Volos, Larissa, Drama, and other Central Macedonian cities, was followed by dozens of aftershocks, the largest measuring 3.8 on the Richter scale.

The Civil Administration of Mount Athos, in coordination with monastery leaders, is on high alert, maintaining constant communication with the Athens Geodynamic Institute to monitor seismic activity in the Athos Peninsula. As a precaution, a rescue vehicle from the 2nd EMAK (Special Disaster Response Unit) and a 2nd EMODE (Special Operations Unit) team will be stationed in Karyes starting Saturday evening to provide support if needed.

On Sunday morning, the Inspector of Northern Greece will conduct an on-site assessment of affected areas to coordinate Civil Protection efforts. The rugged terrain of Mount Athos underscores the need for rapid response to potential aftershocks or structural issues.

Minor Damage, One Injury Reported
While no serious injuries occurred, minor damages were reported across several monasteries. Inspections revealed plaster detachment, cracks, and fallen objects, particularly in older structures. At the Holy Monastery of Simonos Petra, a chimney collapsed, and plaster fell, according to a monk cited by thestival.gr. The Holy Monasteries of Konstamonitou, Dionysiou, Stavronikita, and Zografou also reported cracks and fallen chimneys or chandeliers.

A single minor injury was reported when a panicked visitor fell and injured their hand while fleeing outdoors. Alkiviadis Stefanis, Governor of Mount Athos, reassured the public, stating, “We are fine, and people with relatives here should not worry.” Inspections of buildings in Karyes and other monasteries are ongoing.

Expert Team to Assess Damage
On Sunday, a team from the Mount Athos Heritage Preservation Center and the Technical Chamber of Greece, including at least four civil engineers, will conduct urgent inspections. Accompanied by Deputy Minister of the Interior for Macedonia-Thrace, Konstantinos Gioulekas, the team will focus on the Holy Monasteries of Xenophontos, Dochiariou, and Simonopetra, located near the quake’s epicenter.

Minister Giannis Kefalogiannis emphasized safety, stating, “We are on full alert for seismic activity at Mount Athos. The safety of monks and pilgrims is our top priority.”

Seismologists Urge Caution
Vasilis Karastathis, Director of the Athens Geodynamic Observatory, told CNN Greece that the quake originated from a known fault in the Halkidiki region, warning that monasteries situated on this fault require close monitoring. Efthymios Lekkas, President of the Earthquake Planning and Protection Organization (OASP), expressed concern over the fault’s unexpected reactivation. “We thought the activity had subsided last year, but it has returned stronger. We are analyzing the data carefully,” he told ERT.

Professor Kostas Papazachos of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki noted uncertainty about whether the 5.3-magnitude quake was the main event, adding that the region could experience quakes up to magnitude 6. Seismologist Gerasimos Papadopoulos raised further concerns, stating, “I’m not certain this was the main quake,” suggesting the possibility of a larger event soon.

Safety Recommendations Issued
The OASP’s Permanent Special Scientific Committee convened online after the quake, stating that the seismic activity remains confined to the same area active since last June, with no signs of adjacent fault activation. The committee advised monks and visitors to avoid damaged buildings and use safe routes, especially in areas with steep terrain.

Video Captures Quake’s Impact
Footage from Mega showed the earthquake’s effects inside a Karyes supermarket, where an employee calmly exited the cash register as the tremor hit.

Authorities and seismologists continue to monitor the situation closely, urging vigilance as inspections and assessments proceed.

Source CNN.gr.

Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.

Uh-oh! It looks like you're using an ad blocker.

Our website relies on ads to provide free content and sustain our operations. By turning off your ad blocker, you help support us and ensure we can continue offering valuable content without any cost to you.

We truly appreciate your understanding and support. Thank you for considering disabling your ad blocker for this website