Doha — Turkey was notably absent from a key conference hosted by US Central Command (CENTCOM) in Qatar on Tuesday, where mid-level officials from 32 countries discussed the deployment of an International Stabilization Force (ISF) in the Gaza Strip.
The meeting focused on critical aspects of the proposed force, including command structure, rules of engagement, deployment locations within Gaza, and its mandate to disarm Hamas.
Sources indicate that Turkey's exclusion reflects acceptance of Israel's strong objections to Ankara's participation, despite ongoing Turkish lobbying efforts with the US administration.
“The Turks are still pressing the US administration to be involved. They haven't given up,” one regional diplomat told The Jerusalem Post. A second diplomat confirmed Ankara's continued behind-the-scenes efforts in Washington.
Last week, at a Jerusalem Post conference in Washington, US Special Envoy for Syria and Ambassador to Turkey Tom Barrack voiced support for Turkish involvement.
“Turkey has no aggressive policy toward Israel; the last thing on their mind is the Ottoman Empire,” Barrack said. “Our proposal is that Turkish forces could help reduce tensions. I understand why Israel doesn’t trust them, but it could certainly be helpful.”
The decision comes amid heightened regional tensions, with the ISF aimed at stabilizing Gaza post-conflict.
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.
