A United Nations Security Council (UNSC) report has highlighted links between the Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) and the deadly attack on the Red Fort in New Delhi last November that killed 15 people.
“One Member State noted that Jaish-i-Mohammed had claimed responsibility for a series of attacks. It was also reported to be linked to an attack on the Red Fort in New Delhi on November 9 that killed 15 people,” the 37th report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team submitted to the Security Council 1267 Sanctions Committee concerning ISIL and Al-Qaida said.
The report, issued in New Delhi, added that on October 8, JeM leader Mohammed Masood Azhar Alvi “formally announced the establishment of a women-only wing, Jamaat ul-Muminat, which was aimed at supporting terrorist attacks.” It also noted that even as another member state claimed Jaish-e-Mohammed was defunct, “Separately, it was reported that on July 28, three individuals allegedly involved in the attack perpetrated in Pahalgam, in Jammu and Kashmir, were killed.”
The Red Fort attack involved a deadly, high-intensity explosion that ripped through a slow-moving car at a traffic signal near the Red Fort metro station, killing about 15 people and injuring several others.
At his weekly briefing in New Delhi on Thursday, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal addressed the UNSC report, stating: "This particular report that you refer to, it is available in the public domain. It is online. This was the 37th Report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team. This was published on February 4, 2026."
He added: "And, we have seen that they have taken on board our inputs, India's inputs in regard to our concern on cross-border terrorism, and also as to how we can strengthen the global fight against terrorism."
The UNSC report also highlighted the continuing presence of Al-Qaida in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) in south-eastern Afghanistan, where the Haqqani Network holds significant influence. Osama Mahmoud, the “emir” of AQIS, and his deputy Yahya Ghauri were reported to be in Kabul, with the AQIS media cell based in Herat.
“There were concerns that AQIS was increasingly focused on external operations. Such operations would likely be unclaimed or deniable operations, perhaps as part of the umbrella group Ittihad-ul-Mujahideen Pakistan…so as not to create difficulties for the Taliban as hosts of AQIS,” the report said.
At the same time, ISIL-K continued to operate mainly in northern Afghanistan, particularly in Badakhshan and areas close to the Pakistani border. It has been expanding its network of cells to project a regional and international threat.
“Aggressive propaganda by ISIL-K in Central Asian languages expanded its target audience. It sought to exploit issues such as the Gaza and Israel conflict to promote recruitment and financing,” the UNSC report added.
Meanwhile, Pakistani Police have arrested a local man and seized an improvised explosive device (IED) in Amritsar, foiling a suspected terror plot allegedly linked to Pakistan’s intelligence service. Authorities said the swift action prevented what could have been a major security incident in the city, home to the Golden Temple, a major Sikh pilgrimage site.
The suspect, identified as Rahul Kumar, also known as Gaju, is a resident of Amritsar and reportedly worked at a local salon. Police allege that he had been in contact with a foreign handler since 2022, believed to have links to Pakistan’s Inter Services Intelligence ISI. Investigations into the handler and potential accomplices are ongoing.
Kumar was found with an explosive device containing RDX, a military grade material, concealed inside a PVC pipe. Authorities said the device was capable of causing significant damage if detonated.
Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav said the operation was based on credible intelligence about a potential terror module operating in Amritsar. “This arrest is a major success,” he said. “It shows the importance of proactive intelligence and rapid response by our specialised units. A serious disaster was prevented.”
Police have not disclosed the intended target of the device. Forensic teams are analysing it, while Kumar is being questioned to identify possible accomplices and trace the source of the explosives. Authorities are also examining whether others in India or abroad were involved in planning the attack.
A First Information Report (FIR) has been filed under the Explosive Substances Act, the Arms Act, and relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code. Authorities said encrypted messaging apps played a critical role in tracking the suspect and preventing the attack.
Police said Kumar initially received small amounts of money from his handler before being tasked with handling explosives, a method often used to gradually introduce recruits to terror operations.
The arrest comes amid ongoing tensions between India and Pakistan. Indian authorities have long accused Pakistan of supporting cross border terrorism in Punjab and Kashmir. Pakistan has consistently denied such claims. Punjab’s long border makes it vulnerable to smuggling of weapons, explosives, and other contraband, sometimes delivered via drones.
Authorities urged residents of Amritsar to remain calm. They said the city is safe, and the swift police response highlights the importance of intelligence led operations in preventing attacks.
Experts say the RDX device could have caused significant casualties, particularly in crowded areas. The investigation will determine whether the plot was part of a larger plan or a standalone operation.
The case underscores the challenges faced by law enforcement in tracking individuals who use encrypted messaging to coordinate with foreign handlers. Combining digital intelligence with traditional investigation methods was key to stopping the attack.
Kumar remains in custody and is cooperating with investigators. Police said further arrests may follow as they uncover the full network behind the plot, including funding sources and potential collaborators.
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.
