The Australia Day Honours list has been announced for 2021.
844 Australians were recognised across categories such as Community, Military, Medicine, The Arts, Science, Media and Medicine.
“On behalf of all Australians, I congratulate everyone recognised in the Australia Day Honours list,” he said.
“The individuals we celebrate today come from all parts of our great nation and have served the community in almost every way conceivable. They’re diverse and unique but there are some common characteristics, including selflessness, commitment and dedication.”
Six Greek Australians from across various sectors were recognised for their services as part of the Australia Day Honours list.
Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Socceroos legend Tim Cahill, cricket great Greg Chappell and racing icon Gai Waterhouse are also among the names on the annual honour roll.
MEDAL OF THE ORDER IN THE GENERAL DIVISION
- Ms Theodora AHILAS (Blakehurst NSW 2221): For service to people affected by asbestos-related diseases, and to the law.
- Miss Eleni Andriana GLOUFTSIS (VIC): For service to Australian rules football, particularly as an umpire.
- Mr George Anthony VOYAGE (VIC): For service to amateur Australian rules football and cricket.
OFFICER OF THE ORDER IN THE GENERAL DIVISION (HONORARY)
- Mr Michael Panormitis PAKAKIS (VIC): For significant service to STEM education in Victoria.
- Mrs Ismini (Pitsa) PARRETT (Barton ACT 2600): For service to community health through exercise therapy and aquatic rehabilitation.
- Mrs Sotiria LIANGIS OAM (O’Malley ACT 2606): For significant service to the community through philanthropic support initiatives.
MERITORIOUS SERVICE AWARDS
- Mr John Constantine VARNAVIDES (Pemberton WA 6260)
*Please Note: The recipients were identified based on their last names. If we have missed a community member of Greek origin, please email us at [email protected]
Nominations for the Order of Australia can be made at any time throughout the year. If you know someone worthy, nominate them at www.gg.gov.au.