Tiganopsomo- Fried Greek Pita Bread
Tiganospomo is a homemade fried Greek pita bread, which can be eaten as a savoury snack, as we have made here- with crumbled Feta and oregano- or you can drizzle honey and cinnamon on top for a sweeter version.
Really, you can add anything you like on to your Tiganopsomo and they can also be folded and turned into wraps!
This recipe makes 10 pieces.
– 500 x grams plain flour
– 1 x teaspoon salt
– 7 x grams yeast
– 2 x cups lukewarm water
– olive oil for frying
– Place flour in a large bowl.
– Using your hands, place a hole in the middle of flour and add salt, yeast and water.
– Knead the dough with your hands, until it becomes smooth and doesn’t stick.
– Cover with cling wrap and allow to rest for about 35 minutes.
– Divide dough into 10 even pieces.
– Using a small rolling pin, roll each piece into a circle (pita size).
– Heat frying pan and add olive oil to cover base.
– Add one pita into pan and fry on medium heat till golden brown. Using two forks or tongs, turn over and fry other side.
– Place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
– Repeat process for all pita pieces.
– Add topping of your choice to tiganopsomo.
*Recipe and image by flavours and flair
click here for more Greek Recipes and more