Harry Maguire will finally get court date for Greek assault case

By 4 months ago

Harry Maguire faces an two-year wait to clear his name over his Mykonos Assault.

Maguire will have to wait until after the World Cup for his retrial after Covid caused a huge pile-up in the Greek justice system.

Jacob Harry Maguire is an English professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Premier League club Manchester, 28, launched the appeal in August last year just hours after being found guilty of assaulting a police officer, swearing, resisting arrest and attempted bribery.

Ioannis Paradissis, who is representing the police, said: “Given the backlog, it could well be the case they don’t set a date until late 2022 or even early 2023.”

Local attorney Dimitris Choulis added:

“Due to Covid there have been huge delays in the judicial system.

United captain Maguire, on £190,000 a week, denies throwing punches at the ­officers or trying to bribe them.

He claims they lashed out at him as he took his sister Daisy, 20, to hospital after she had allegedly been injected with a drug by two strangers at a bar.

Maguire said he feared he and his family and friends were being kidnapped when plain-clothes officers stopped their minibus on Mykonos island.

Advertisment

This post was last modified on July 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Copyright GreekCityTimes 2022
Share
Copyright GreekCityTimes 2022