New York: One of the Greek-American "anarchists" accused of terrorism pleads not guilty

3 1

On February 15, the court - Who was on the list of targets - See videos and photos.

Angelo Hatziagelis, one of two Greek-American brothers arrested by New York authorities after an entire arsenal of improvised explosive devices, body armour and weapons were found in their home, has pleaded not guilty.

The two brothers were arrested in Queens on charges of plotting terrorist attacks against prominent targets. 39-year-old Andrew and 51-year-old Angelo Hatziagelis had a list of targets, including police officers, judges, politicians, celebrities and bankers, calling them "scum."

“Wipe out the scum,” a disturbing note of there's said. “Wipe out the earth.”

“Human sacrifices,” a written rant on a separate page said. “Permitable but only for the corrupt rapists, pedophiles, murderers, politicians, judges.”

They also kept an arsenal of improvised bombs and weapons without a serial number in the family's Queens apartment, prosecutors said, and a 3D printer was found to make untraceable gun parts.

Among the weapons seized were eight improvised bombs, one partially constructed bomb, two loaded AR-15-style rifles, two 9mm semiautomatic handguns, 600 rounds of ammunition and three sets of bulletproof vests, officials said.

1 174
Andrew (left) and Angelo (right) Hatziagelis

As it became known from the American authorities, in the last six months, an entire operation had been set up for the two brothers by the anti-terrorist and secret services until they finally arrested them.

The two brothers were arrested in a joint operation by the New York Police Department, the Department of Homeland Security and the Queens District Attorney's Office.

The two brothers, whom the New York Post described as “wannabe anarchists,” face 130 charges.

Among the charges are criminal possession of a weapon or firearm, reckless endangerment, criminal sale of a firearm and illegal handling of dangerous fireworks, according to the indictment.

I'm innocent, says one of the two brothers

Angelo, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges, according to the case file, CNN reported.

1 2

“The city is safer today,” Queens DA Melinda Katz said in a statement on Monday. “We cannot measure the number of lives that were saved but we do know that these weapons will never hurt anyone.”

The two brothers are due in court on February 15 and face up to 25 years in prison each if convicted.

READ MORE: Greece and Turkey start joint patrols in the Aegean Sea to stop human traffickers.

Advertisment

Copyright Greekcitytimes 2024