A surfer missing in Western Australia was “taken by a shark”, police said, after search teams pulled a board scarred with “bite marks” from the water.
The man was mauled by a shark while surfing at a remote beach in Western Australia on Monday, police said, in the country’s fourth reported fatal attack in recent months.
As a fruitless search wrapped up on Tuesday evening, Western Australia Police Force senior sergeant Christopher Taylor said the “surfer was taken by a shark”.
“Unfortunately, that search has not recovered the surfer’s body. I can confirm that our search is a recovery, not a rescue.”
The unnamed man, in his 30s, had been surfing off remote Wharton Beach, a white sand cape about 90 kilometres (55 miles) east of regional hub Esperance.
“A surfboard with evidence of bite marks was recovered from the water,” Western Australia Police said in a separate statement on Tuesday.
In February, a shark killed a 17-year-old girl swimming off an eastern Australian island, while a 28-year-old surfer was fatally bitten in South Australia the month prior.
Days earlier, on December 28, a shark fatally bit a 40-year-old pastor in the neck as he was spearfishing off Queensland.
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.
