From Luxembourg: Greece Reassessing Asylum for Syrians as Conditions Change

Greek Minister Thanos Plevris announced that illegal entrants to Greece face 2-5 years in prison unless they return voluntarily, aiming to deter economic migrants. The policy, backed by a new bill and asylum suspension, has reduced arrivals significantly, reflecting a broader European shift toward stricter migration controls.

At the recent EU Council of Interior and Migration Ministers in Luxembourg, Greece’s Minister for Migration and Asylum, Thanos Plevris, signaled a shift in Greece’s approach to asylum for Syrian nationals, citing significant changes in the security situation on the ground in Syria.

“Our country is already reviewing the international protection status of Syrian citizens,” said Plevris, noting that Greece has begun the process of lifting or not renewing asylum for Syrians whose circumstances have changed. “The populations now facing danger in Syria are not Muslims, but Christians,” he added, arguing that those previously granted asylum may no longer face the same level of threat today.

The Council focused on key issues including voluntary returns and the EU’s upcoming Return Regulation. Plevris underlined Greece’s priority on both voluntary and forced returns, calling for stronger joint operations through FRONTEX and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Highlighting Greece’s domestic efforts, he noted that provisions from the new EU Return Regulation have already been incorporated into Greek law. “Our policy is now clearly reflected in the doctrine of ‘prison or return,’” he said, pointing out that illegal residence now carries a prison sentence of two to five years—a policy that has already shown early results in increasing returns.

Plevris also addressed the controversial three-month suspension of asylum applications for illegal migrants arriving from North Africa, a measure that expired on Tuesday. Despite criticism, he argued it was effective: “Before the measure, in just the first 10 days of July, 2,642 people entered the country. After implementation, arrivals dropped significantly in August and September.”

He reaffirmed that returns remain a key priority for Greece, along with support for a unified European migration policy and mutual recognition of return decisions across EU member states.

On the sidelines of the Council, Plevris held bilateral meetings with his counterparts from Sweden, Bulgaria, and the Netherlands to discuss current migration challenges and EU policy coordination.

Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.

Uh-oh! It looks like you're using an ad blocker.

Our website relies on ads to provide free content and sustain our operations. By turning off your ad blocker, you help support us and ensure we can continue offering valuable content without any cost to you.

We truly appreciate your understanding and support. Thank you for considering disabling your ad blocker for this website