Panathinaikos and Partizan to headline star-studded four-team tournament in Sydney and Melbourne
In a monumental moment for international basketball, two of Europe’s most storied clubs—Panathinaikos BC AKTOR of Greece and KK Partizan Mozzart Bet Belgrade of Serbia—will travel to Australia this September to compete in the Pavlos Giannakopoulos Tournament, hosted for the first time outside of Europe by the National Basketball League (NBL).
The event will not only showcase top-tier European talent but also feature Australia’s own Sydney Kings and Adelaide 36ers, offering fans a rare chance to witness EuroLeague and NBL powerhouses collide on Australian soil.


“This is an extraordinary moment for the NBL and basketball fans in Australia,” said Nikola Milivojevic, Director of the NBL. “To have two of Europe’s biggest teams competing in a tournament of this calibre, along with two of the biggest clubs in Australian basketball, is not only a reflection of the NBL’s growing global reputation, but underlines the increasing level of passion and interest Australians have for the game.”
The action tips off on Thursday, 18 September at John Cain Arena in Melbourne, with Panathinaikos and Partizan facing off in a highly anticipated clash. The competition then shifts to Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney, where the four teams will battle it out over Sunday 21 and Monday 22 September in a round-robin tournament format.
Panathinaikos, founded in 1919, is one of the most successful clubs in European basketball history, with seven EuroLeague titles and a passionate global following. Their fierce rivals in this tournament, Partizan Belgrade, are equally iconic—winners of the EuroLeague in 1992 and renowned for their vocal fanbase, intense rivalries, and a legacy of producing world-class talent.
“We’re extremely excited to see the Kings and 36ers represent the NBL against two EuroLeague powerhouses,” said Larry Kestelman, NBL Owner and Executive Director.
“We’d like to sincerely thank Panathinaikos and KK Partizan for their friendship and support, and for trusting the NBL as partners for the 7th edition of their prestigious tournament.”
The tournament honours the late Pavlos Giannakopoulos, a towering figure in European basketball and former long-time president of Panathinaikos, who is credited with transforming the club into a global powerhouse. Last year’s event was held at the legendary Panathenaic Stadium in Athens, a venue steeped in history and symbolism. Bringing the tournament to Australia marks a powerful new chapter in its legacy.
“We are proud to bring the legacy of Panathinaikos and the memory of Pavlos Giannakopoulos to Australia,” said Vassilis Parthenopoulos, President of Panathinaikos BC AKTOR.
“This tournament marks a major step in our global journey, honouring a visionary who shaped our club's modern identity. We thank the NBL for their warm welcome and partnership, and we're honoured to collaborate with Partizan Belgrade. This initiative holds cultural importance, allowing us to connect with the Greek diaspora in Australia. Through basketball, we celebrate unity, pride, and the shared values that define Panathinaikos.”


The significance of the event also resonates strongly with the Serbian community in Australia.
“We are extremely happy for the opportunity to present our club and European basketball to Australian fans,” said Ostoja Mijailović, President of BC Partizan.
“Along with Panathinaikos, our goal is to expand our community and strengthen fan bases within Australia. The connection between BC Partizan and Australian fans is already strong, having Australians like Dante Exum, Alex Maric, Nate Jawai and Jock Landale in our squad through the years.
We look forward to meeting all Australian basketball fans and showing them what we’re all about, and we also look forward to reconnecting with our expatriates and those with Serbian heritage who we hope will come out in strong support.”
Register Now for Priority Access
Pre-registration for tickets is now open, with those who register early receiving priority access on Monday, 19 May. General public tickets will be available from Thursday, 22 May.
Register now at www.nbl.com.au/pgt

Read also Handmade with Love, by Chef Christos Bisiotis
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.
