One of Greece’s most popular soups is Avgolemono- an egg and lemon chicken soup with rice, which is a staple in most Greek homes throughout winter.
This is a great “go to dish” when anyone isn’t feeling 100% (winter or summer), as it’s a comforting, hearty, vitamin c and protein packed meal that makes everyone feel that little bit better.
You can add carrot, celery or onion to your soup but we have kept our recipe here both simple and authentic.
– 1 x whole free range chicken
– 1.5 x cups medium grain white rice
– 2 x lemons, juiced
– 2 x free range eggs
– salt and pepper to taste
– 3 x tablespoons olive oil
– Wash chicken and place in a large saucepan. Fill with water until saucepan is covered 3/4 of the way up.
– Bring to a rapid boil, then lower to medium/ low heat. With a wooden spoon, take away the dark foam it has created on top of water.
– Add salt, pepper and olive oil and place lid on saucepan. Allow to cook for about 1 hour or until chicken is completely cooked through.
– Take chicken out of saucepan and place in a dish.
– Wash and rinse rice and place in saucepan with chicken stock and allow it to cook for about 25 minutes. Stir a few times and add some boiling water if there is not enough juice.
– To make the avgolemono, whisk eggs in a bowl and gradually add the lemon juice. Add 2 ladlefuls of stock from your chicken soup and whisk into eggs and lemon, stirring constantly.
– Return the egg mixture into saucepan and stir all the way through. Cook over very low heat for one minute, allowing soup to thicken and serve with chicken.
*Image and recipe by flavoursandflair.com (Copyright)