Arakas is a simple and delicious peas in a rich tomato sauce recipe.
It’s a one pot wonder that can be made quickly and is great during Lent, or when you are looking to make a meatless Monday dish!
During Sarakosti there are certain days people do not consume oil, so it is entirely up to you whether you decide to include it!
Make sure to have lots of bread on hand, so you can dip it into the rich homemade sauce!
– 1 x kilo fresh or frozen peas
– 1 x Spanish onion, chopped
– 2 x cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
– 5 x ripe Roma tomatoes, grated
– 2 x potatoes chopped (optional)
– 1 x carrot, peeled and chopped (optional)
– 1 x tablespoon tomato paste
– 100 ml x olive oil (optional)
– 5 x cups water
– salt and pepper to taste
– In a large pot, sauté the onions in olive oil on medium heat.
– Add potato, carrot, garlic and stir for a minute.
– Add grated tomatoes and tomato paste and stir for a few more minutes.
– Add peas, water, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
– Bring to boil on high heat, then lower heat to medium.
– Cook covered for approximately 40 minutes (stirring every 10 minutes), or until peas and vegetables are soft and juice has reduced.
*Recipe and image by flavoursandflair.com (Copyright)