Giouvarlakia is a simple and traditional Greek soup featuring meatballs in a creamy egg-lemon sauce and is deliciously satisfying all year round!
With a few key ingredients and simple steps, you can create a beautiful dish for the entire family.
– 500 x grams lean minced meat (using cut of your choice- eg. beef, pork, veal)
– 1 x cup medium grain rice
– 1/4 cup x parsley, chopped
– 1 x onion, chopped
– 1 x clove garlic, chopped
– 2 x lemons, juiced
– 2 x eggs
– 1/4 x cup olive oil, extra for drizzling
– salt & pepper to taste
– Place mince, chopped onion, rice, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl.
– Add salt, pepper and olive oil.
– Knead the mixture with your hands, until smooth in texture and then roll into round meatballs.
– Allow to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
– Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with water and bring to boil.
– Add the meatballs gently into the pot, one by one, using a ladle spoon.
– Drizzle lightly with some olive oil and lower heat to medium and allow to simmer for 50 minutes.
– To make the lemon sauce, crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Add lemon juice and whisk well.
– Add 2 x ladles of juice from the soup into bowl and whisk thoroughly and quickly.
– Stir the egg-lemon sauce into soup and cook for another minute on very low heat.
*Image and recipe by Flavours & Flair (Copyright)