fbpx

Undefeated Greek boxing sensation George Kambosos signs lucrative deal worth millions

Undefeated Greek boxing sensation George Kambosos signs lucrative deal worth millions

Undefeated Greek boxing sensation George Kambosos signs lucrative deal worth millions

In a move that sent shockwaves throughout the boxing world, the much-loved undefeated Greek Australian boxer George Kambosos Jr signed a fight contract worth a staggering $2.7 million after being caught up in a rumour filled boxing war with American superstar Teofimo Lopez.

The 27-year-old undefeated lightweight superstar agreed to the terms for his upcoming world title fight with the American boxer as part of the whopper $7.6 million deal.

Kambosos, by far, has earned the largest cheque of his career after emerging streaming platform Triller outplayed all rival bidders, including boxing giants DAZN and Matchroom Boxing, with a monster $US6.02m fight purse bid.

Triller gained traction after it won the streaming rights to the highly anticipated boxing match between notorious Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr late last year.

As a result, the streaming platform has flagged itself as the dominant player in the boxing world, leaving Kambosos a big winner of that message.

Triller Fight Club has invested heavily in the fight, putting up a major sum of $4.95m for Lopez and his team. This amount of cash was enough to see Lopez quickly walk away from his long-standing deal with major sports channel ESPN.

With Matchroom Boxing offering $US3.506 million and Top Rank (an ally of ESPN) giving $US2.315 million, Triller outbid them all.

The IBF bidding process declared that Lopez, being the champion, would receive 65 per cent of the $7.6 million deal, with Kambosos and his team receiving the remaining 35 per cent.

Kambosos’ total payday will also be hugely diminished by the fees which high-profile boxing promoter Lou DiBella demands per fight, reportedly around $US500,000.

George was pushing to fight Lopez in his home state of Melbourne due to the incredible way Australia has handled the pandemic, however, Lopez didn’t want to undergo the mandatory 2-week quarantine so the contest will be held in Atlanta, America.

This would see the fight become the co-main event on the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren battle.

This is a huge deal for Australian boxing and especially for George, who is punching after his first World Title with a gigantic hunger for glory.

“All I have in my mind is becoming a world champion,” he has famously said.

World Title Fight: George Kambosos Jr vs Teofimo Lopez Jr

Greek City Times will continue to follow and support George ‘Ferocious’ Kambosos Jr on his journey to championship glory.

Follow Greek City times via these channels:

*Image by Nick Bourdaniotis/Bourdo Photography (Copyright)
No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply