If you're like me and can't tolerate gluten, or need to follow a Low FODMAP diet, then any kind of baking can be a real challenge! Luckily, you can modify certain recipes and make your own version of traditional Greek sweets. Through trial and error, I developed the best recipe of Koulourakia so far in my kitchen! These Greek goodies are delicious and do not crumble! Make sure to get all the rind off your lemons for the best taste!
- PreHeat oven to 165•C (Conventional oven)
- Whip 250g of organic Unsalted butter with 1 cup of castor sugar for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in 3 organic eggs, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons vanilla essence, 1/3 cup Organic (and Carrageenan Free) almond milk and the zest of 2 lemons.
- Mix in 1 packet (370g) of Rick Grants Fluffy Pikelet Mix and mix slowly.
- Add 1-2 cups of White Mill Gluten Free flour (Buy at Aldi) and mix until you get a soft, not sticky dough. Don’t add too much flour or you’ll need to add more almond milk later.
- Kneed lightly until dough is pliable.
- Place in glad wrap & refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll into whatever shapes you like and generously glaze with an egg wash (3 room-temperature eggs beaten). Sprinkle sesame seeds on top or leave plain.
- Bake on 165•C in a conventional oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown or doubled in size. (Check oven regularly)
- Allow to cool BEFORE removing from the tray to avoid cracking. They are delicate when hot.
- Enjoy! And don’t be anxious about your gut flaring up! These are perfectly safe for anyone following a Low FODMAP or Gluten-Free diet.
For all your Low FODMAP Shopping, Click here.
Note: I am not a dietician or qualified nutritionist and the recipe in this article was developed personally through trial and error.
This article is not intended to provide specialty medical advice on what to eat, always consult a Medical Professional if concerned about food intolerances.
Despina Karp is an accredited makeup artist, beautician and lifestyle writer based in Sydney, Australia. She is currently studying Skin Health and Nutrition and is passionate about makeovers and healing skin (and health) conditions from the inside out. Follow her here for all things skin, health and beauty.