Greek tennis star Stefanos Tsitsipas has struggled in 2025, with only two match wins across his last three Grand Slam appearances, including a first-round retirement at Wimbledon and a five-set loss to Daniel Altmaier in the US Open’s second round, hampered by back issues. Following a title win at the ATP 500 event in Dubai in February, the former world No. 3 is now seeking off-court changes to improve his performance.
In an interview with SDNA, Tsitsipas announced a bold move: a complete social media detox. “I told my team I’m unfollowing everyone,” he said. “It’s not about the people—it’s about finding independence from social media. With all the travel and stress, disconnecting brought me peace.” Previously, Tsitsipas used social media to unwind, spending hours online, but now aims to avoid it for one to three years or more.
Known for his philosophical posts and videos, Tsitsipas hopes his detox will inspire others, particularly young athletes. “I want to encourage kids to focus on real life—playing sports, going out, like I did growing up,” he said. “Social media leads to unhealthy comparisons. People see a polished version of life, not reality.” He cited mental health advocacy from players like Grigor Dimitrov, Andrey Rublev, and Naomi Osaka as inspiration.
Tsitsipas also parted ways with coach Goran Ivanisevic, former mentor to Novak Djokovic, after just two tournaments. The Croat, who helped Djokovic win nine Grand Slams, couldn’t replicate that success with Tsitsipas.
The Greek is set to return at the ATP 500 event in Beijing, running September 25 to October 1, aiming to regain form with a clearer mind.
Stay updated with the latest news from Greece and around the world on greekcitytimes.com.
Contact our newsroom to share your updates, stories, photos, or videos. Follow GCT on Google News and Apple News.
