Ekmek Kataifi is a light and refreshing dessert featuring three layers of goodness- a syrupy Kataifi (shredded pastry), a creamy custard and to top it off a layer of fresh cream with flaked almonds and pistachios! Here is a delicious recipe from Flavours & Flair.
– 375 x grams Kataifi
– 200 x grams butter, extra for greasing
– 3 x cups sugar
– 2 x cups water
– 1 x tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 x cinnamon stick
– 6 x egg yolks
– 6 x cups full cream milk
– 1 x cup sugar
– 7 x tablespoons semolina
– 1 x tablespoon corn flour
– 1 x teaspoon vanilla sugar
For fresh cream
– 600 x ml thickened cream
– 2 x tablespoons icing sugar
– 1 x tablespoon pure vanilla extract
– almond flakes, for garnishing
– crushed pistachios, for garnishing
– Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
– Tear apart kataifi pastry with your hands.
– Grease baking dish with butter and spread the kataifi over the base of dish, fluffing it up as you go.
– Melt butter and pour over kataifi. Bake for 25 minutes or until a very light golden colour.
– Take out of oven and allow to completely cool.
– In the meantime to make the syrup, add all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for around 6 minutes or until it becomes syrup like in texture.
– Once kataifi has completely cooled down, pour over syrup.
– To make custard, place egg yolks and sugar in a heavy saucepan and mix with a hand mixer until sugar has completely dissolved. Add in the corn flour, vanilla sugar, semolina and milk. Stir well and then place on low heat. Cook until mixture becomes thick and creamy. Stir constantly and make sure it doesn’t boil.
– Allow custard to cool down and then pour it over the layer of kataifi and allow it to completely cool.
– At this point, you can place it in the refrigerator overnight and make the fresh cream the day after.
– To make the final layer, place cream, icing sugar and vanilla into a bowl and mix with hand mixer until it becomes completely thick and stiff.
– Place cream over cooled custard and even it our using a spatula. Garnish with almonds and pistachios and place back in fridge until serving.