Papoutsakia (Greek stuffed eggplants) are a delicious dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish.
Here's a recipe to make it at home. Usually papoutsakia, which means "little shoes" have a meat based sauce, however this vegetarian version provides a lighter alternative. We hope you enjoy!
- 6 small to medium eggplants
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing eggplants
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut off the tops of the eggplants, then slice them in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of each eggplant half, leaving a 1/4 inch-thick shell. Be sure to keep the flesh in a separate bowl.
- Brush the eggplant shells with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are soft and lightly browned.
- While the eggplants are baking, prepare the filling. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the eggplant flesh to the skillet and sauté until it is cooked through and soft.
- Add the chopped herbs, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, and water to the skillet. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the filling for 10-15 minutes until it has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
- Remove the eggplant shells from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Spoon the filling into each eggplant shell, making sure to fill it completely.
- Top each eggplant half with crumbled feta cheese (optional).
- Bake the stuffed eggplants for another 15-20 minutes, until they are heated through and the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious papoutsakia!
Read also Finally Me is Finally Here: Jason Stevens' Big Fat Greek Movie Has Arrived