Is there anything more romantic than a homemade sweet treat?
This Chocolate Portokalopita recipe is perfect for Valentine's Day!
Decadent choc-orange cake... need we say more!
- 400g of filo pastry
- 500g of dark chocolate
- zest of 1 orange
- 250g of sunflower oil
- 250g of castor sugar
- 200g of Procal Greek yoghurt
- 200ml of cream
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 300ml of buttermilk
Method to make Chocolate Portokalopita
- Dry filo overnight and then crumble with your hands.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda.
- Warm up the cream and the chocolate and melt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the oil, sugar, zest of one orange, yogurt and buttermilk.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the wet mixture.
- Add the filo pastry into the egg mixture in batches. Lastly add the chocolate and cream.
- Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 160° fan forced. Test with a skewer at the 45 minute mark and if still wet, bake for a further 15 minutes.
- To make the syrup, heat 625g of sugar with 500ml of water over low flame.
- Once cool, pour the syrup over the cake whilst it is still warm.
Kathy Tsaples, living her ‘Sweet Greek’ dream
- Instagram: Sweet Greek Shop
- Facebook: Sweet Greek Shop
- Website: sweetgreek.com