Greeks love their food. They love to eat and love to feed others especially their neighbours. This is one place you are guaranteed never to feel hungry in a Greek Home.
Greek food uses mainly fresh local ingredients such as Mediterranean vegetables, olive oil, lemon juice, various types of fish and meat, as well as grains.
We asked around a Greek City Times Complied our Top 10 Greek dishes including recipes for you to make at home.
For recipes click on the blue links.
- Patates Tiganites See Below
- Xoriatiki Salata
- Makaronia me kima
- Gigantes Plaki
Patates Tiganites (Fried Potatoes, the Greek way)
- Potatoes (about 1 medium potato per person)
- Olive oil for frying
- Oregano (optional)
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Cut them into slices about 1 cm, thick and then into sticks.
- Put them in a bowl with cold water until you are ready to fry them so that they do not oxidize.
- Just before frying, drain the potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat the olive oil (which should be enough to cover the potatoes) in a heavy skillet or a wok.
- Just before the smoking point, add the potatoes.
- Don’t stir before 5 minutes have passed and then stir occasionally until the desired colour.
- Serve hot sprinkling some oregano and extra salt on top.