Vikki and Helena
Vikki and Helena, sassy twins born in South Australia. The girls learnt the tricks of the trade from their Greek grandmother. Growing up in a Greek family has given them the passion and love for Mediterranean food.
The Identical twins were 2014 finalists on Channel 7’s My Kitchen Rules. Their Greek family food won the hearts of the nation.
Rice is a staple in their homes and as kids they loved eating Rizogalo straight out the pot. This recipe is delicious, comforting and with a touch of Greek honey, you will be transported straight back to Greece!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 5 ½ cups full-cream milk
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 strips of lemon zest
- ¼cup of honey + extra to serve
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- To serve: Handmade sour cherry
- Pour the milk into a deep saucepan, add the caster sugar, vanilla bean paste, honey and lemon zest. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil. Immediately turn down to a low heat, gradually stir in the rice and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cornflour together.
- Using a measuring cup, take out 1/2 cup of milk from the rice mixture and add to the egg yolks. Whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture into the rice mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon and place back on the stove for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Scoop the rizogalo into serving bowls and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving or enjoy it hot. Serve with honey and ENJOY!
Tip: If you don’t have lemon use orange instead.