Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 10. While celebrations may look a little different this year, families can still celebrate and convey their love and appreciation with a homemade dessert.
Here’s a lovely Lemonopita recipe perfect for Mother’s Day (or any day).
Lemonopita is a delicious Greek Lemon Phyllo Pie, made with no flour. This cake is made with Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, zest and lots of shredded filo pastry.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make, not to mention how yummy it is!
Ingredients (serves 12):
- 450g caster sugar
- 350ml water
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 450g filo pastry
- 2 lemons, zested
- 4 eggs
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 200g sunflower oil
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powde
- Syrup: Combine the sugar, water and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Boil vigorously for 8 minutes (or until the sugar melts). Remove from heat, then add the lemon juice. Allow to cool whilst you make the cake.
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Lightly grease the baking pan with oil.
- Remove the filo from its packaging. Take each sheet and roughly tear into shreds using your hands. Tear the filo directly into the baking pan and leave to dry a little while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a bowl, blender or food processor- combine the lemon zest, eggs, yoghurt, oil, sugar, vanilla and baking powder. Mix together for a few minutes, until the mixture is completely combined and frothy.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking pan, and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- When ready, carefully remove the pan out of the oven and immediately pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake.
- Set aside for at least 1 hour, until most of the syrup has soaked in.
- Slice and serve with vanilla ice-cream and lemon zest!
*Image courtesy of Akis Petretzikis